Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Being on the Atkins diet.... without suffering ;-)

Ok, so we've been counting calories and granted we have been dropping some pounds, it seemed to become somewhat stagnant after awhile.  So ... we turned to the old reliable.... Atkins!! Low carb (not NO carb) diet, which was responsible for an 80 lbs loss back in its heyday (and although some of it crept back on throughout the years, I never did regain all of those 80 lbs, so it's not true that you always gain back what you lost & more....)

So, we restocked our pantries and now had to start remembering what we used to eat and where we used to go when we wanted to eat out.    Atkins also inspires a lot of creations in the kitchen, because if you don't want to get sick of protein, you want to get creative!
Luckily, the low carb selection at the stores now is vastly expanded and a lot greater than it used to be.   Thanks to Walden Farms, who have a LOT of really great products such as 0 carb chocolate spread, 0 carb strawberry jam, 0 carb apple butter...... etc.


Anyway.... below are some photos of my lunch.  Does it look like I'm suffering?

Here we have 2 (or however many you can pile on, as these are 0 carbs) Oscar Mayer Cheesy dogs, wrapped up in a Mission low carb tortilla, topped with low carb ketchup, 0 carb thousand island and 0 carb jalapeno peppers.... nom, nom!  Overall carb count: 5 (4 from tortilla, and about 1 from ketchup)

And I can have dessert! As much as I want if I do it right ;-)
What you see here is my personal concoction: a couple of spoonfuls of Walden Farm's Apple Butter, topped with whipped cream, a couple of chopped macadamia nuts AND ... last but NOT least (the most important player in this concoction).... the CINNAMON! (Takes the edge off the "sugar free" taste that sometimes comes through in these 0 carb fruit spreads)

Another shot of my yummalicious dessert.  mmm .... I want some more.
Carbs? Around 2. If that.

1 comment:

  1. I'm thinking serious about starting on a such diet too, and lately I've found lots of interesting recepies :D

    ReplyDelete