Sunday, March 21, 2010

Sunday & car shopping - the good, the bad & the stinky.

Well, in awaiting for our new bundle of joy, we are for the time being shopping for a new car. What a hassle! Walked around a couple of lots yesterday, Penske really wrestled with us to try to lock us into a deal but we managed to walk away from their grasp, no matter how much they were flattering us with their sweet talk.

We went to Metro Honda this morning, which was a pleasant car dealer to walk around actually. Although they of course want to make us buy from them & had some sales pitches to delive, I didn't feel as claustrophobic there. The salesman had no problem with letting us walk out of there after having shown us their selection, he didn't do the cliche "What can we do to make you buy that car today" speech ... if that's their tactic, then it works for me. For someone like me, the more you nag & push me to buy, the faster I back away ... so I prefer Metro's sales tactic!

THEN ... we went to Rock Honda. Holy cow. First thing that hit me as I exited my car was a smell of cigarette smoke. Obviously the sales men are allowed to smoke, none of my biz, but keep it away from the customer areas perhaps? Anyway ... a salesman comes walking up ... and 100 feet ahead of him came the horrid stench of his cologne. Enough to choke a person, I'm sure. I was hesitant to shake his hand...but I did anyway... and as predicted, the cologne stuck to my skin like glue. (And it wasn't even a good cologne...).
He walked us around to the few cars we were interested in. Their selection wasn't great. We sat in a used Honda, it smelled like something sweet on the inside... I'm guessing it was supposed to be that "new car scent" air freshener but it didn't smell anything like a new car.
So we say "thanks but no thanks" and are ready to move on, no matter how much he pleads and tells us he can get us anything we want. As we're standing next to my truck, which is kind of dirty at the moment. Due to all the rain we've had, I haven't had a chance to wash my car yet, and he makes some smart-ass comment about my dirty rims & proceeds to run his finger through the brake dust... leaving 1 stripe of silver showing through the dirt, at least before it was a solid gray, now with the silver stripe running across my rim, it really highlighted the dirt! What a jerk. What was the point of that?? (Was he trying to tell me that Hondas don't get dirty??? )

We couldn't get out of Rock Honda fast enough. The whole way home I drove with one hand because I feared that anything I touched would get this salesman's cologne attached to it. As soon as we got home, both my husband and I ran for the bathroom to wash our hands ... I hosed down my rims to get his fingerprints off my car ... Seriously! Who does that? Someone who sells cars in the first place should know better than to go tampering with their customer's cars... My truck is my precious!! Keep your stinky fingers away from it!

Oh well ... the search continues. We've narrowed it down a little, we'll see what we end up with. One thing is sure. We're not shopping @ Rock Honda.

1 comment:

  1. LOL! I know the type. The typical sleazy, gross car salesman. *shudders*
    I bought mine from Sierra Honda in Monrovia. I was quite pleased with them(and also got 6 free oil changes with the deal)! The guy who sold me my car was named, Jeff. He's super nice, but he was slightly pushy. Although, it was month end and he needed to meet his quota or what-not, and I pushed him down to my numbers by the end of the night. :) I think he went into his manager's office at least 12 times..lol. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete